1. October 14, 2014 7:03 pm

“Subjection is twofold. One is servile, by virtue of which a superior makes use of a subject for his own benefit; and this kind of subjection began after sin. There is another kind of subjection which is called economic or civil, whereby the superior makes use of his subjects for their own benefit and good; and this kind of subjection existed even before sin. For good order would have been wanting in the human family if some were not governed by others wiser than themselves. So by such a kind of subjection woman is naturally subject to man, because in man the discretion of reason predominates. Nor is inequality among men excluded by the state of innocence, as we shall prove (96, 3).” (St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, 1.92.1)

2. krwordgazer permalink
    October 14, 2014 7:56 pm

3. October 14, 2014 8:17 pm

>>>>>So Aquinas believed men were “wiser” than women and that therefore women needed to be governed by men. Do you?<<<<<
    Based on the women I've encountered I would say "yes, I do agree with this assessment of women".

4. krwordgazer permalink
    October 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Well, then, it’s clear where you’re coming from.

5. October 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Tell me where I’m coming from, oh wise woman.

6. krwordgazer permalink
    October 14, 2014 8:46 pm

Your misogyny is showing. If you don’t want to be blocked, be more respectful.

7. October 14, 2014 8:50 pm

My apologies. There are few women I respect nowadays. Those I do respect are highly authoritative figures in my life. I used the Angelic Doctor to refute your assessment in this article that subjection is entirely post-fall. There is a type of subjection that is pre-fall and that is one where the leader is servile and protective toward his subjects.

8. krwordgazer permalink
    October 14, 2014 9:01 pm

All right, but I disagree with Aquinas and with you. The only human relationship in the Bible pre-Fall was between Adam and Eve, and unless you start from the assumption that Adam was the leader and Eve in subjection prior to the Fall, you cannot show that subjection is pre-Fall. In other words, that reasoning is circular.

I still find that your decision to disrespect all women but a few exceptions, is sexist. Since I’m clearly not one of your exceptions, I’m not sure why you’re bothering to talk me at all, because you have already stated that you as a man are wiser than me as a woman.

9. October 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Sheesh, clean up your attitude. It’s based on the Hebrew–Adamah–ground, Eve–life. Woman has been created for life and therefore needs protection. Adam is created for dirt and therefore is the designated protector. Or when a woman gets pregnant should she not be protected by the man?

10. krwordgazer permalink
    October 14, 2014 9:18 pm

What does a woman’s pregnancy have to do with this? That’s a special situation and doesn’t mean all women need protection by men at all times. Furthermore, your “therefore” does not follow from your premise. And no, I’m not going to “clean up my attitude.” You made a sexist statement and you don’t get to blame me or tell me to be quiet when I protest.

11. October 14, 2014 9:26 pm

My point is that woman is the weaker sex.

12. krwordgazer permalink
    October 14, 2014 11:58 pm

And you would have that mean mentally weaker too? Sorry, no.

13. tiro3 permalink
    October 20, 2015 1:36 pm

Just ran across this KR. Excellent info about the binary thinking. I’m going to think about this. I’ve always thought that each human is a whole entity on his or her own. What I’m picking up on a fast reading here, is that part of binary thinking is the idea that neither is whole without the other, thus marriage is essential for wholeness. I don’t think humans should count on another person to bring them to wholeness. As well marriage itself is not an essential element of life. That “wholeness” comes as a result of the healing and empowering power of our relationship with God.

And it seems to make sense that that idea came from Aristotle’s thinking. Then from that comes the idea of the strong ruling over the perceived weaker one. More truthfully we see that all of us have strong and weak elements. We are all stronger in some ways and weaker in others. It is foolish to think that certain strengths are indicative of overall superiority. The opposite could be true. 🙂 Certainly the one who elevates himself in pride over perceived strengths, has just made himself the weaker element.

14. krwordgazer permalink
    October 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Thanks Tiro! Good points!

1. David Capes’s Assault Against the “Assault” Against “the male-female distinction” | BLT