Skip to content

Publishing in the Internet retailing age

March 4, 2012

From Carlos Bueno:

… Let me tell you about another book, “Computer Game Bot Turing Test”. It’s one of over 100,000 “books” “written” by a Markov chain running over random Wikipedia articles, bundled up and sold online for a ridiculous price. The publisher, Betascript, is notorious for this kind of thing.

It gets better. There are whole species of other bots that infest the Amazon Marketplace, pretending to have used copies of books, fighting epic price wars no one ever sees. So with “Turing Test” we have a delightful futuristic absurdity: a computer program, pretending to be human, hawking a book about computers pretending to be human, while other computer programs pretend to have used copies of it. A book that was never actually written, much less printed and read.

betascript

The internet has everything.

Advertisements
3 Comments leave one →
  1. nzumel permalink
    March 4, 2012 3:32 pm

    Very Borges…

  2. March 4, 2012 11:06 pm

    Did you really post that or did a bot? That other biblioblog has your post for 10% off.

  3. March 5, 2012 8:27 pm

    Nina, indeed, this is a volume in the La biblioteca total (=Die Universalbibliotek.)

    Courtney, the irony is that I did not write this, and, since 90% x 0 = 0, the other biblioblog does the post for 10% off.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: