In homage to Super Bowl XLVII

February 1, 2013

I had at one point thought of writing a piece comparing the great popular authors of Baltimore (John Barth, Tom Clancy, Fitzgerald, Francis Scott Key, Menken, Poe, David Simon, Anne Tyler, etc.) with the great popular authors of San Francisco (Isabelle Allende, Allen Ginsberg, Dashiell Hammett, Jack Kerouac, Jack London, Amy Tan, Hunter S. Thompson, Mark Twain, etc.) and it could have been a great post, because Baltimore’s team name references Poe and San Francisco’s team name references American history and growth of the West.

But the hour is drawing nigh, so I’ll leave you instead with a pointer to a description of the game of American Football as a nerdy strategy game.

About these ads
  1. February 1, 2013 11:03 pm

Well, if we’re going to talk about the Super Bowl, I must share these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-CEGTScA8c (long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1OzymxwT48 (short)

2. February 2, 2013 10:36 pm

Funny! But I’ve always wondered about invoking Divine aid for sporting events. Suppose that the One Above were receptive to such petitions. If Heaven aids one side to the advantage of the other, it really isn’t a fair match, is it?

3. February 3, 2013 12:14 am

Indeed, our priest commented today at the end of Mass that, what with different people praying for different teams to win, “God must be awfully confused!” ;) Then very nicely and wisely suggested that we should all simply pray that no one would be injured during the game.

4. February 3, 2013 8:51 pm

Penny Arcade had the same “football is a game!” epiphany about a month ago:

DPS stands for “damage per second” — eg, a measure of a weapon’s power.

And I would read your literary super bowl post, even a few days late. I’m not watching the game, anyway…

5. February 4, 2013 11:35 am

Nina — thanks for the link. I’m not sure if I’ll write out that particular literary post at this point, because I have an idea for hopefully a better post on a different pop-literature topic.